“To be a good horseman, we must analyze all aspects of our horses’ lives. Each tiny detail is important. Be aware. Be vigilant. Be proactive.”
Jessica grew up in York, PA and has been on the back of a horse since 6 months of age, thanks to her aunts. At the age of 8, she started taking formal balanced seat lessons in both English and Western from Rutledge Horse & Cattle Co. in Spring Grove, PA. She competed in a lot of local open shows throughout her school years. In 1999, she rescued Mr. Lincoln, a 7 year old TB off the track, to be her first event horse. It took years to retrain the very nervous boy, but contrary to what many said, Abe ended up eventing successfully through Training at recognized events and even qualified for the AEC’s at Novice!
In 2003, Jessica started at Wilson College in pursuit of her BS in Equestrian Studies. While at Wilson, she started their first Eventing Team, which is still going strong. She also graduated with honors and she was also awarded the Equestrienne Award, which is given to one or two graduating seniors that excels in both riding and teaching. In 2005, Jessica bought Win the War, aka Bug, from Charles Town Racetrack. Jessica and Bug have a very special bond, and she has done all of his training from his restart all of the way through the CCI*** level. They qualified for the Land Rover Kentucky Three Day (formerly Rolex) CCI**** in 2016, but unfortunately, Jessica was injured that year before they could go. In 2017, Jessica made the difficult decision to retire Bug from the upper levels, in order to keep him sound and have a long life with a job. He is currently showing Taylor Hollern, one of Jessica’s students, the ropes of Training level and Prelim level, with the goal of doing a CCI* in the next year.
Now that Bug is retired from upper level competition, Jessica is focused on rebuilding her own string of horses and bringing along her growing group of students, Team JBH Eventing.
- Jessica Bortner-Harris is a strong advocate for her passion and dedication to Eventing. Her USEA record can been viewed here.
- To learn more about the support and sponsors behind the hard working team at JBH Eventing, please visit here.
IN THE PRESS
- 28th – Pine Top Farm, Advanced, 2/2015 [43 starters]
- 2nd – Full Gallop Farm, Intermediate, 1/2015
- 62 3-Day 2-Star (CCI2) [111 starters], 10/2014
- 1st – Chattahoochee Hills, Intermediate, 7/2014
- 11th – The Virginia CIC2*, 11/2013
- 18th – Plantation 3-Star CIC3, 9/2013
- 13th – Five Points, Advanced A, 9/2013
- 6th – Chattahoochee Hills, Intermediate, 7/2013
- 9th – Pine Top, Advanced A2, 2/2013
- 1st – Full Gallop Farm, Advanced/Int, 2/2013
- 2nd – Full Gallop Farm, Open Intermediate, 2/2013
- 12th Place – American Eventing Championships – Intermediate 2012
- 2nd Place – Virginia CIC**/CCI* HT – Advanced – 5/2012
- 5th place – Fairhill International CIC***- 4/2012
- 7th out of 25 – The Fork HT – Advanced (his 2nd!)- 4/2012
- 15th out of 29 – Southern Pines II HT – Advanced – 3/2012